Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Fuzzy's Taco Shop, Topeka




Today I tried Fuzzy's Taco Shop in Topeka. It opened last week and I've been hearing about it ever since. It's always busy when I drive by and a lot of my friends have tried it. I have also heard mixed reviews so I thought I'd wait a few days before going.

When I got there the line was almost to the door, but inside was more spacious than I thought it would be. Back when I had last been in that particular building it was Team Sporting Goods and there were racks of sports equipment and lots of stuff on the walls. Now the walls are painted in bright colors with booths and tables all around. It's different than I remember but I like it, and I'm glad another restaurant has come to the College Hill area.

There are so many items on the menu that it was hard to choose. I was glad to have a few minutes to read it over while I was waiting in line. Although the line was long, it didn't take too long to get my order in, and I wonder if it will be like that on a regular basis once it's not so new to the area. The menu has all kinds of loaded nachos, tacos and burritos. Breakfast items are served all day, which is a huge plus for me because I like breakfast at all times of the day.

I got a chicken taco and a spicy pork taco in hard shells, and Ryan and I split some brisket nachos. I
ordered a side of guacamole, too because that's just a must for me. The only thing I didn't like was that the chips with the guac came out with seasoning on them, and I didn't like the seasoning. Next time, hopefully they can just leave it off and use salt. The guac was good, it had chunks of avocado in it, tomatoes and onions that I enjoyed. The chicken and pork tacos come with cilantro, feta cheese, tomatoes and lettuce. Those were tasty, too, although the chicken was just a little salty. I put some guacamole on all my tacos, and they were awesome.

The brisket nachos were humongous and someone could order a platter for their entire meal if they wanted to. This platter could also be shared between 4-6 people as an appetizer, or between two people who are really hungry. I devoured them and my tacos, but was extremely stuffed by the time I was through.

My experience was a good one, as compared to some of the reviews I've seen online. But, to me that's to be expected at any new location and I'm sure things will smooth out in the next few days. If you don't want to chance it, I'd say wait a week or two then go try it out. Or, go when it's not a lunch or dinner rush and really give them a chance. We went today, on a Tuesday at 2 p.m. when it's not necessarily lunch time, but it was still busy. After ordering we only waited about 5 minutes for our order and found a place to sit pretty quickly, too.

I plan to return and check out their breakfast menu soon. Like I said before, I'm glad another restaurant has come to College Hill within walking distance of my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment