Thursday, June 29, 2017

Top Dog



Finally, a hotdog spot in Topeka. I mean, a lot of places have hotdogs on their menu and some even have Chicago-style hotdogs, but there hasn't been a place that specializes in just hotdogs that I can remember. Top Dog is now open by Gage Bowl on Huntoon and I got over there as soon as I could. (The map still says it's Mr. Nice Guys' Hot Box, but that business is no longer at that location.)

Elvis Dog
The place looks like an old school drive-in with parking in front, under an awning and a building with large windows and that's where the hotdogs are. You go inside and order, though, so it's not really like a drive-in, but it still looks cool. There are tables inside to eat at, or there is a picnic table outside to sit at, too. It was a beautiful day so I sat outside for my lunch.

The hotdogs are all beef can come off the menu or you can build your own with the toppings you choose. The menu has basic hotdogs like the Perry, which has ketchup, mustard and relish. They even have a Chicago dog and their Sloppy dog is a chili dog with mustard. I decided to be brave and try something different, such as the Elvis dog with peanut butter, crushed corn cereal flakes and bananas. My hubby got the Mexico dog with drunken beans, bacon, lettuce, jalapeno, pico de gallo, tomato, avocado and cheese. Just listing out those ingredients is making my mouth water.

If you order a meal your hotdog comes with a drink and a choice of a baked potato or chips. The baked potato even comes with butter, sour cream and cheese. I got the chips but the hubs got the baked potato and it was fat. I couldn't have eaten one so I'm glad I went with the chips.

The Elvis dog is definitely something to write home about. I have always loved peanut butter and
Mexico Dog
bananas, so why not on a hotdog? The combination was so good that I ate the entire thing, bun and all. I haven't been eating bread much, but this warranted an exception. The creamy, earthy peanut butter with the sweet banana contrasted with the juicy, salty hotdog perfectly. The peanut butter would kind of coat my mouth but the with the texture of the hotdog and bun and the crunchy cereal flakes, it wasn't hard to eat at all. I would order this again.

The Mexico dog was loaded with all kinds of stuff and is one that I will have to return and order for myself. It looked pretty good but I was so preoccupied with mine I didn't even taste it. I hear it was tasty and the guy working said it was his favorite hotdog to order. It has avocado on it so you can't really go wrong there.

The people working were very friendly and happy to answer any questions we had. Their hours are pretty awesome, as their drive-thru is going to be open until 3 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays for all those people leaving the bars across the street who want to eat but don't want to drive all the way across town. I know it's going to be an option for me. I plan to return many times to try other items on the menu, and I saw where they have BYO nachos so those are a must.

No comments:

Post a Comment