Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Oklahoma Joe's Bar-B-Que



 After hearing about Oklahoma Joe's Bar-B-Que for years, I finally made my way there the other night for dinner. In my defense, the last time I tried to eat there was on a Sunday and I found out the hard way that they are closed on Sundays at all locations. Anyway, I finally got to try this famous barbecue I hear so much about.

Half slab of ribs
When we walked in the line wasn't too long and I've heard it's usually out the door. To order, you stand in line and can peruse the menu before you order. We got lucky that we didn't have to wait long.

Well, I've heard about it so much for a reason -- it is some good stuff. I went with my husband (surprise!) and we decided to order a smorgasbord of items -- ribs, pulled pork, smoked turkey, coleslaw and smoked chicken gumbo to name a few items. I mean, why drive all the way to Kansas City and not try everything? That would go against our nature.

We always order different items so we can share and try a little of each item. I recommend doing this if you don't know what to get. Everything we ordered was tasty and cooked to perfection. My husband said the ribs were some of the best he's ever had.

Smoked turkey and pulled pork
Speaking of the ribs, they were fall-off-the-bone-tender and smoked just right. They come slathered with Joe's Original BBQ Sauce and more sauce is available on the table. If you're sharing, I'd recommend the full slab because we only got the half-slab and wished for more. Looking back, instead of the turkey, I should have ordered ribs. The turkey was good, don't get me wrong, but the ribs were the star of the show.

Potato salad
The pulled pork was pretty good, but it was overshadowed by the ribs. The turkey was juicy and the smokey flavor was just right.    I enjoyed the potato salad but I picked out most of the celery because I am just not a big fan of raw celery and there seemed to be too much for my taste. I appreciated the hardboiled eggs, though. The coleslaw was good but nothing to write home about, so I won't go on.

Smoked chicken gumbo
For me, my favorite side was the smoked chicken gumbo. Thick, hearty and smokey, it was comforting with okra, rice and chicken. It had just enough spice and wasn't overpowering. The rice was cooked just right, not mushy but tender.

As I said before, everything we ordered was cooked perfectly, the seasonings were right on and I will definitely be back for more. If
you don't know what to order, I'm sure whatever you choose will be a hit. Joe's Kansas City BBQ hasn't seen the last of the Petersons.

No comments:

Post a Comment